The Simcoe Muskoka Health District is offering smokers aged 18-29 the chance to win $2,500 in cash just by quitting smoking. Over the past three years, the contest has been offered on post-secondary campuses, but now the challenge is being extended to all young adults. Leslie Gordon, tobacco program coordinator says one of the reasons for the program's success is that it is tailored to a specific age group. If you would like to cut back by 50 percent or quit for good visit www.wouldurather.ca
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:40
Muskoka District Road 7 north of Port Sandfield is currently closed after two tractor trailers slid off into the ditch. Muskoka Lakes Deputy Fire Chief Harry Baranik says it happened north of Port Elgin Road. The department will notify when the road re-opens. In Bracebridge, the southbound ramp at #117/Cedar Lane is also closed currently after an 18 wheeler slid off the road.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:11
OPP are asking motorists in Muskoka to give them space while they respond to the numerous incidents on our roads today. Police report widespread vehicles in ditches. They say they need space as they and tow trucks respond at various locations. Also, motorists should drive well below the speed limit on area roads as visibility is poor and all roads are slippery. So far, no damage or injuries have been reported.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 09:46
Drive safely! Bracebridge OPP report there are vehicles in the ditch 'everywhere' throughout our region as the snow continues to fall. Visibility is nil in nearly all areas of Muskoka. Police urge you to stay off the roads if you dont have to travel. Traffic is currently crawling along Highway 11 between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge. The storm appears to be centred above Muskoka at this time. Just north of Huntsville, callers are reporting clear blue skies.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 12:19
WINTER STORM CANCELLATIONS: If you would like to announce a cancellation or delay, please email it to
- Muskoka Campus of Georgian College is closed.
- The Riverside Christmas concert will be rescheduled for Monday December 16th at 6:30pm (dress rehearsal at 9am).
- Muskoka Christian School is closed.
- Muskoka Montessori School is closed.
- The Healthy Heart Rehab program this evening at the Summit Center has been cancelled.
- YWCA Safe Sisters program cancelled tonight at Pine Glen School.
- Huntsville Hurricanes basketball House league is cancelled tonight. Will resume next Wednesday.
- Christmas concert at Spruce Glen Public for today postponed to tomorrow at 2:00pm and 6:30pm.
- The Bracebridge Great Beginnings program at st. Thomas church, cancelled.
- The Bracebridge Legion's wednesday luncheon is cancelled.
- The Probus Club of Central Muskoka meeting at the Bracebridge Sportsplex has been cancelled today.
- The Bracebridge Manna Food Bank's Holiday Stew Workshop which was to be held at Gagnon's YIG in Bracebridge at 6:30pm has been cancelled. It's being rescheduled for January 22nd.
- The Christmas concert at Riverside Public has been postponed. The school is working on another date.
- Contact North in Bracebridge has been cancelled and all exams will need to be rescheduled.
- Progressive College in Bracebridge has been cancelled
- Bracebridge Storm indoor soccer cancelled tonight.
- Muskoka Limberettes have cancelled all their afternoon and evening rec gymnastics classes today and their trampoline class. The trampoline class is being rescheduled for next week.
- The Muskoka Audiology Clinic @ 256 James Street in Bracebridge is closed today due to weather
- District recycling and garbage collection is cancelled today in Muskoka Lakes Township and Georgian Bay. Any questions, call the district at 705-645-2231
- All daytime programs are cancelled at the Gravenhurst YMCA.
- The Muskoka Audiology Clinic on James Street in Bracebridge is closed as staff can't get in.
- The Big Brothers Big Sisters of Muskoka Christmas party scheduled for tonight has been rescheduled for next Wednesday, the 18th, same time, same place.
- Knight Hawks badminton is cancelled for tonight.
The snow just keeps on coming, as the snow squall warning continues for Parry Sound and Muskoka. Environment Canada says we could see another 15 centimetres dumping of snow with high winds and low visibility at times. Snow squalls could continue tomorrow with another 10 to 15 centimetres expected. Meantime, Almaguin Highlands is under a snow squall watch. Yesterday, Highway 11 from Huntsville to Powassan shut down because of bad weather conditions. It has since been reopened. Highway 400, south of MacTier (Mac-teer) has been reopened as well.
Page 1 of 241